The title of this blog doesn't really take a neurosurgeon to figure out.
Being British is cooler than being American. It's a flat out fact.
I mean, think about it. Their slang is so much cooler than ours could ever hope to be (though somewhat sillier, of course.)
For instance, if I was British, I would be a bird. I would go out into jolly ole London. I could meet someone. Then I'd fancy him. And eventually I'd take him back to my flat to shag the bloody hell out of him.
Now, let's try that same sentence in American:
I'm a girl. I go out into [insert American city here.] I meet someone (maybe.) Then I'd develop a crush. Eventually (if things worked out, because I'm American and therefore no more or less exceptional than any other American walking around this city), I would bring him back to my apartment to fuck him. A lot.
Which instance sounds better?
But, seriously... Have you ever noticed how British people could get away with murder when it comes to Americans? We LOVE British people.
Americans love the Beatles. They were/are British. I'm fairly certain (almost) nothing would've changed our positive opinion of them.
Americans love Harry Potter. He's British. (Okay, actually, I love Rupert Grint. Not exactly the same thing, but it had to be said.)
Americans love Hugh Laurie. No other man on earth could play House like him. It's a statement of fact. But when it comes down to it, he's BRITISH. Though that American accent has never sounded so good...
Americans love Monty Python. Seriously. You can't NOT (don't die, Lilly, I realize this is a double negative and apologize profusely) love John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones and Terry Gillam. They're the kings of comedy. Everything they do is GOLD. Even after decades have passed, their comedy is still funny! And they're British!
Americans love Colin Firth and/or Hugh Grant. If you don't like one, you generally like the other. And if you like both, well then, thank you for proving my point. :)
And as much as I hate to say it... Americans love Robert Pattinson. Yes, just teeny bopper Americans who have yet to develop a mind of their own, but Americans none-the-less. They love him. And if he killed someone, they'd probably let him get away with it.
Let's just face it. Americans love Britains. Be it because we just want to have them on a pedestal to admire or because we envy them for how much cooler they are than us... we can't help but adore them.
I guess it's just something about being born in a country with permenant S.A.D. Either that or all the ridiculously good looking people that come from there. (Rupert Grint, Gerard Butler [is from the same ISLAND, though perhaps not England], Hugh Laurie, David Beckham, Orlando Bloom, need I go on?)
But whatever the reason, we both know I'm right about this. (:
LOVE :)
ReplyDeleteI want to be British so we can call you know who a slag instead of a slut. I seriously love the word slag. hands down my favorite british slang. :)